ABOUT PIEDMONT HOUSING ALLIANCE
Piedmont Housing Alliance’s mission is to create affordable housing opportunities and foster community through education, lending, and development. We specialize in acquiring, rehabilitating, and developing multi-family housing with the goal of developing and preserving quality, sustainable, affordable apartment homes, and fostering communities of choice with responsive community management, intentional resident engagement, and robust resident services. Our work reflects our core values of equity, opportunity, home, community, and respect. We are based in Charlottesville, Virginia.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Real Estate Development Manager is responsible for managing the entire development process of large, complex affordable multi-family projects, including feasibility analysis, acquisition, deal structuring, design development, financing, public approvals, construction, and close-out. Primary responsibilities focus on achieving the objectives for each active development and managing tasks related to property acquisition, pro-forma financial analysis, design, construction debt and equity financing, closings, and lease-up and stabilization. S/he collaborates with other members of the Piedmont Housing team (development, community management, finance), and with the design team, general contractors, public agency staff, lenders, legal, partners, and consultants. The position will work as part of a small team and report to the Executive Director (who also directs the real estate development team).
- Manage all facets of real estate development projects from inception through completion, including:
- Feasibility, Entitlement, and Design
- Lead process from predevelopment and acquisition, through site plan review, design and permitting.
- Create and manage market and financial analyses, feasibility assessments, budgets, and pro-formas.
- Perform site due diligence, including review of zoning, utilities, etc.
- Financing and Construction
- Participate in preparing applications for project funding, including community engagement, pre-development, construction, and permanent financing and submit related applications, documentation, and reports as required by lenders/funders.
- Coordinate design team through construction, monitoring schedule, cost, and quality of work; accountable for managing adherence to schedule and budget.
- Manage final punch lists and construction close out.
- Portfolio and Operations Support
- Develop productive, positive working relationships and communication systems with Piedmont Housing Alliance colleagues in development, community management, and finance.
- Liaison between real estate team and community management/operations on building-related issues.
- Cultivate productive, positive, professional working relationships with the development community, lenders, various levels of government, and other public, private and non-profit partners.
- Recommend and implement improvements on development policies, procedures, and systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to successfully manage and deliver multi-faceted projects; demonstrated ability in project management, including coordinating teams and managing schedules, tasks and construction.
- Prior experience in architecture, real estate development, project management, and/or construction.
- Strong working knowledge of affordable housing development and finance.
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate opportunities, and recommend a course of action.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, who interacts productively and positively with other members of the Piedmont Housing Alliance team.
- Strong communication skills, with ability to make presentations to residents, neighbors, civic leaders, government and funders.
- Ability to meaningfully engage with issues of racial equity and inclusion.
- Detail-oriented; able to plan, prioritize, and organize multiple projects concurrently.
- Capacity to adapt to change.
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work both independently and within a team setting.
- Proficient in computer software, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Strong work ethic, enthusiasm, integrity, good judgment, and sense of humor.
- 3+ years of residential real estate project development and/or construction experience, preferably with affordable housing.
- Demonstrated skills in preparing and analyzing financial models and working with complex spreadsheets.
- Able to lift & carry items up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods and safely move about construction sites.
- Able to type efficiently on a computer keyboard and work at a desk for extended periods of time.
- Deliver successful projects according to objectives, schedule, and budget.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range is $60,000 to $85,000, based on skills and experience; benefits include medical insurance, dental insurance, disability and life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with company contribution and matching, employee assistance program, and professional development opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and resume by November 4th.
Piedmont Housing Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that values diverse perspectives, inclusive policies, and equitable practices. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.