TriMet is renewing its focus on transit-oriented development (TOD) and is looking for an experienced development professional with private sector experience to become the agency’s first Commercial Developer, tasked with negotiating and implementing development deals on TriMet-owned property. This position is an excellent opportunity to help shape the future of the Portland-metro region by helping create mixed use, mixed income TOD at and near TriMet station areas, including the development of transit centers and park and ride sites. As the region continues to grow, it is extremely important that we create density along transit lines and at transit centers in order to reduce automobile dependency, thereby reducing congestion and bringing environmental benefits to the region.
This position leads and manages TriMet's TOD development efforts and promotes TOD principles throughout the tri-county region. This includes both real estate projects on TriMet-owned property, including the use of park and rides and development over light rail trackways and transit centers; and interaction and coordination with third party developers constructing projects near TriMet's light rail station areas and bus routes. This position will also perform outreach to developers, local jurisdictions, and the public to encourage the construction of TOD projects. This position will work with a small but dedicated, creative and results-oriented team to achieve TriMet’s TOD goals.
The position must ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of work.
Perform related duties as required.
1. Develop real estate strategies and innovative approaches to maximize development at or near TriMet station areas in a manner that raises revenue to the agency while promoting TOD principles, increasing transit use, and maintaining TriMet's operational integrity.
2. Identify and develop creative ways to leverage TriMet's property assets, mitigate related risk, and promote transit-oriented development.
3. Perform outreach to external stakeholders, including the private sector, government agencies, and others, to identify opportunities and remove obstacles to success, including promoting needed zoning changes and other regulatory tools, which enable third party investment and optimization.
4. Successfully negotiate high value real estate agreements, manage, and enforce contract terms. Ensure maximum value is derived and TOD principles are achieved in all real estate transactions.
5. Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, including Federal Transit Administration requirements, governing the use and disposition of property acquired with federal funds.
6. Assist with the regulatory approval process, during the development and implementation of TOD projects, and ensure TriMet's interests are served during development.
7. Responsible for the profitability, tracking, analysis and reporting of individual and integrated performance and overall strategy related to the portfolio of projects.
8. Develop strategies for additional real estate commercial opportunities, including retail and concession programs.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, or related field is required. Post-graduate degree or professional certification in a relevant field is preferred.
A minimum of six (6) years total credited experience. Increasingly responsible professional experience in real estate development, business administration, law, or related field preferred, including five years of experience in real estate development, including land assembly and high-density development, which includes residential and commercial real estate types, with a preference for experience on a national or international level. Experience managing large and complex projects, including real estate development projects is required.
Or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Brokerage / Sales
- Property Management
7+ to 10 years
Apply for this job