Fifteen Group is seeking to hire a talented and highly motivated Controller. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will play a critical role in strategic decision making and operations as the company continues to enhance its Accounting and Finance functions and undergoes rapid growth. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, participatory manager who, along with the CFO, will lead the Finance and Accounting Teams and will have a successful track record in setting priorities as well as excellent analytic, organization and communication skills.
As the Controller, you will be responsible for supervising the accounting department, which will include establishing and maintaining organizational structure and staffing as well as selecting, training, and mentoring of accounting staff. In addition, the Controller is responsible for the following:
Accounting Department Operations:
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, treasury management and general ledger accounting.
- Responsible for a timely, accurate and efficient accounting close on a monthly basis.
- Ensure accuracy of the reported results; investigate and explain variances to prior months activity/results.
- Enhance accounting department's use of software (Yardi) and integrate software into accounting processes and procedures.
- Serve as liaison with external property management firms.
- Establish and implement company-wide policies and procedures.
- Manage the annual financial audit process performed by an independent CPA firm.
- Assist the CFO with preparation and completion of the fiscal year budgeting process, evaluate business unit performance against budget, and develop forecasts/reforecasts to provide an accurate projection of financial performance.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in accordance with US GAAP.
- Supervise the preparation of the monthly management financial reporting packages.
- Review monthly financial reporting packages prepared by external property management firms.
- Reporting of operational data to the leadership team, including key metrics on portfolio performance (occupancy, leasing activity, in-place rents, etc.)
- Develop, analyze, document, and implement internal controls.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance accounting and finance policies, processes, and procedures to comply with US GAAP.
- Seek opportunities to revise or create new policies and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting group.
- Responsible for local, state, and federal tax compliance and reporting (including franchise, property and sales and use tax compliance and reporting).
- Manage debt covenant reporting.
- Establish and implement short and long-range accounting department goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Manage projects and initiatives as assigned.
- Minimum of five (5) year of experience in the Commercial Real Estate industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
- Management experience building and leading accounting teams.
- Yardi systems experience.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel.
- CPA is a plus.
About Fifteen Group
Fifteen Group is a real estate-focused private investment firm. Our investment activities focus on opportunity-driven, value-added acquisitions and development projects. We invest selectively in all major real estate asset classes, in real estate-secured debt and in corporate private equity transactions. We take great pride in our entrepreneurial philosophy and expertise in finding opportunities where others see none. We are based in Miami and maintain an office in Los Angeles.
Apply for this job