The Chief Engineer reports to the Property Manager and is responsible for ensuring that the mechanical, heating and air conditioning systems operate efficiently. The Chief Engineer, furthermore, ensures that all mechanical equipment remains in excellent working condition by inspecting all mechanical components daily. The Chief Engineer is also required to supervise the work of all maintenance, security and building services personnel under his or her responsibility as well as any building services contractors.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that the building’s HVAC systems are working correctly and efficiently.
- Maintain optimal operating and comfort conditions by ensuring that systems meet ASHRAE standards.
- Carry out routine inspections and preventive maintenance, recording information using the preventive maintenance software and the logbook.
- Conduct water analyses, ensuring that the results are recorded appropriately, and that corrective action is taken as needed. Also ensure that the chemical products used in the building’s systems are sufficient and stored correctly.
- Respond to daily service calls and complaints as quickly, professionally and courteously as possible and follow up on them.
- Manage complex and delicate situations, taking a flexible approach to dealing with complaints made by tenants or user groups with respect to the work environment.
- Carry out minor plumbing and welding work.
- Maintain workshops and mechanical rooms, including cleaning and painting.
- Answer emergency calls made outside business hours and on weekends. Ability to travel as needed for emergencies. Schedule for on-call duties on a rotation basis, to be confirmed with the Property Manager.
- Create, apply and update a preventive equipment maintenance program using the Building Engines software.
- Maintain and organized building drawings/specifications and operations manuals.
- Ensure that security and Fire and life Safety protection systems are completely compliant.
- Oversee projects as well as repairs or upgrades to equipment or to the building itself.
- Manage assigned projects (Tenant Fit-ups or other) by reviewing plans and specs from a design, architecture and engineering perspective.
- Contribute to the development of procedures related to system optimization and energy efficiency.
- Manage security personnel and ensure they work effectively. Review reports of all daily rounds.
- Follow up on corrective maintenance work assigned to maintenance personnel as well as preventive maintenance work to ensure it has been done correctly.
- As needed, assist other operational personnel with respect to preventive maintenance, electrical maintenance or other concerns.
- Manage inventory; choose materials and equipment and recommend their purchase. Issue purchase orders.
- Follow up with suppliers and contractors to make sure the products or services provided are satisfactory.
- Carry out any other tasks or assume any other responsibilities delegated by the Property Manager.
- DEP in stationary engineering, mechanical maintenance or equivalent.
- Certificate of qualification as a stationary engineer, with class A or B certification in refrigeration and class 4 in heating.
Knowledge, skills, experience and abilities
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in large commercial or multipurpose buildings.
- Practical knowledge of IT systems (automated building control system, lighting system, etc.).
- Practical knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Good project & Construction management skills, including ability to review and approve plans.
- Perfect fluency in both French and English, spoken and written.
- Excellent ability to manage crisis situations; vigilant, perceptive and able to solve problematic or urgent situations.
- Above-average interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.