Job Summary: The Associate Counsel will (i) provide legal support for real estate transactions on acquisitions, dispositions, leases, purchase & sales contracts, (ii) directly manage some litigation cases and (iii) interacts as necessary with outside counsel on select matters. The Associate Counsel provides day-to-day counseling to the management team on general real estate transactions and corporate matters. Supports the company’s goals of growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: As part of a small legal team, provide support for acquisition, disposition, purchase and sales contracts, financing, real estate and corporate governance. Negotiate and draft leases, purchase agreements and other legal documents Prepare lease amendments and letter agreements. Manage litigation and pre-litigation disputes and, where possible, negotiate resolutions to such disputes. Lead the due diligence team and transaction coordinating for acquisition activities. Work with the General Counsel on the structuring of 1031 exchanges. Negotiate, draft, and review construction contracts, including prime contracts, development agreements, design services agreements, and construction management agreements. Provide day-to-day counseling to internal business units on complex real estate, development, risk management and dispute resolution issues.
Abilities and Competencies: Solid business acumen and judgement, attention to detail, and, where necessary, the ability to isolate deal critical issues for escalation
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritize and plan work activities; Use time efficiently; Plan for additional resources; Set goals and objectives; Develop realistic action plans Customer Service - Respond promptly and thoroughly to investor needs; Solicit investor feedback to improve service; Respond to requests for service and assistance
- Oral Communication - Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; Respond well to questions; Demonstrate group presentation skills; Participate in meetings
- Written Communication - Write clearly and informatively; Edit work for spelling and grammar
- Teamwork - Balance team and individual responsibilities; Exhibit objectivity and openness to others' views; Give and welcome feedback; Contribute to building a positive team spirit; Put success of team above own interests;
- Quality Management - Look for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Meet commitments Cost Consciousness – Able to cost-effectively utilize and manage outside counsel and other advisers. Contribute to profits and revenue; Conserve organizational resources
Qualifications: Two to six years of Real Estate law experience both in commercial (retail, office and industrial) and residential transactions, including preparation of real estate documents and preparation of joint venture agreements
Reasonable understanding of the Real Estate industry and Real Estate matters. Experience in drafting contracts regarding real estate transactions. Acumen and independent judgment to interact with high net worth clientele Strong relationship-management ability, both internally and client-facing
Must have a J.D. degree from and ABA-approved law school and be an active member in good standing with the California Bar
Strong organizational skills and ability to handle large volumes of files. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills are a must. A strong sense of ethics, governance, and fiduciary responsibility. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job