About the Company: Come join the winning team at SummerHill Homes as a Director of Development. SummerHill Homes, founded in 1976 develops and builds upscale in-fill single and multi-family residential for-sale communities in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. With revenues of over $300 million annually, SummerHill Homes is a member of the nationally acclaimed Marcus & Millichap family of companies. We are poised for dramatic growth and are currently in need of a strong, experienced and highly professional Director of Development.
Job Description: The Director of Development is responsible for leading and directing all aspects of the project business plan for the projects for which they are responsible. Projects range from single-family communities to small, single-family, entry-level products and multi-story townhome projects. The Director of Development will carry out entitlement projects and will also oversee project consultants. Qualified candidates will have extensive experience with project entitlements for residential development. Experience working on the development team for a home builder is preferred. The Director of Development will work from the SummerHill office in Palo Alto, CA, and report to the SVP of Development.
- Evaluate potential development opportunities sourced by the Acquisition Team
- Conduct due diligence reviews including site design, hard and soft cost estimates, evaluation of zoning and entitlement requirements, environmental, geotechnical, legal, and title reviews, engineering constraints, etc. (Risk Evaluation)
- Participate in the analysis of feasibility and the preparation of the Investment Memorandum (GO Package)
- Establish project program requirements in consultation with other groups: finance; property management; accounting; risk management
- Secure necessary local, state, or federal entitlement and permit requirements: zoning, planning board, environmental, building permits
- Contract for and manage all consultants during the entitlement process: architect; landscape architect; zoning attorney; civil engineer; etc.
- Monitor and update financial reporting for cost and schedule (proforma, monthly finance meetings, approval of project and company expenses, etc.)
- This position must spend a great deal of time outside of the office, i.e., at meetings with governmental agencies, and design teams, as well as at community meetings, and site visits while maintaining constant communication with the office and meeting both project and internal reporting deadlines.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus on business or real estate
- 7 - 10 years of experience with project entitlements required; strong experience taking residential development projects from inception to completion is also required.
- Computer literate with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, including MS Excel
- Experience mentoring staff and leading outside consultants; effective collaborator
- Must have a solid technical understanding and experience with residential design and construction
- Must have strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills; strong negotiator
- Professional demeanor with strong work ethic, customer service oriented, politically savvy
- Good organizational skills, excellent judgment, and decision-making
The compensation plan for this role will be commensurate with the skills required for the position. As such, it will be comprised of a base salary and an annual performance-based incentive which is determined upon individual and portfolio performance. The Company offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Paid Time Off + Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Time
- 401k + Employer Contribution
- Medical (H.S.A./HDHP option w/ Employer Contribution)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Group Term Life & AD&D
- Voluntary Life
- Long-Term Disability
- Buy-Up Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Accident
Depending on the role, other benefits such as commissions, educational assistance program (tuition reimbursement), referral program, and/or car allowance may be applicable.