Private Markets Analyst
The Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) has a current job opening for a Private Markets Analyst in our Investment Department, reporting to an Investment Officer and working closely with the Chief Investment Officer. IMRF is the second largest – and best funded-statewide public pension system in Illinois.
The Private Markets Analyst will be an integral member of the investment team on a global investment portfolio with assets in excess of $40 billion, responsible for evaluating and analyzing various investments across all private market asset classes. It is the mission of the Investment Department to optimize the total return of the IMRF investment portfolio through a policy of long-term diversified investment, using parameters of prudent risk management.
Key Responsibilities Highlights:
- Manage the private market program to achieve long-term performance targets within acceptable risk parameters.
- Recommend appropriate strategies across a wide range of asset classes (private equity, real assets, and real estate) regarding new investments with existing and new managers.
- Conduct manager meetings and prepare prospective and current manager meeting notes in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for maintaining NAV, management fees and cash flow files for the Private Markets portfolio.
- Review private markets portfolio performance reports and monitor separately managed accounts. Provide updates and recommendations to the Chief Investment Officer on the course of action.
- Ensure manager compliance with the relevant investment management agreement(s) and IMRF Investment Policies.
- Assess and negotiate legal terms governing existing and pending investments
- Perform tasks required of all investment analysts and be familiar with all aspects of Investment Department operations.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree. Accounting, Finance, or Economics preferred
Minimum of five years’ institutional investment experience, including at least 2 years private market investment experience
Either Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA ), CFA Level III candidate or a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation is required.
Other qualities needed for success in this role:
- Ability to think critically about manager performance and portfolio decisions
- Demonstrated thoughtful and disciplined approach to private market investing
- Strong oral and written communication skills (including presentation skills).
- Strong financial modeling skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Access
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally; holds a valid Driver’s License
- Generous insurance benefits, including medical and dental
- 35 hour base work week, Monday - Friday
- Death, disability, and pension retirement benefits as a member of IMRF
- Paid vacation, 12 paid holidays and 2 personal days
- Onsite amenities include health club, café and salon
- Business casual attire
- Award-winning organizational approach to performance excellence
Starting Salary Range: $105,000 - $125,000 annually
IMRF is conveniently located in Oak Brook, IL. Interview travel reimbursement available. Target dates for interviews: month of April.
Visit our website at for more information about IMRF and to submit your resume and cover letter on our Employment at IMRF page.
- Asset Management
- Investment Management
- Risk Management
- Alternative Investments
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.