The Director of Facility Management will responsible for the “hands-on” management of all building operations, repair, maintenance and all related functions at the new combined Cooke Grammar and High School which will open for school in June 2020. The new state of the art building will be approximately 65,000 square feet and is located at Madison Avenue and 113thStreet in Manhattan. Functions to be managed and/or performed directly by the Director of Facility Management include: maintenance and repair of all base building components and systems (e.g. MEP, HVAC, etc.), generator maintenance and testing, cleaning, porter services, site security and all required actions to comply with applicable health and safety requirements. The role will require a combination of (i) direct repair and maintenance of building systems, (ii) management of small staff and (iii) selection and management of third-party vendors.
- Responsible for continual communication / interaction with the executive team relating to the conditions and appearance of the facilities and provision of services and the priority of activities.
- Assist in the development of the operating plan and budget for the property, subject to the approval of the Cooke senior management. Review and process for payment invoices related to the operation budget for the facility.
- Understand the engineering design and operational aspects of building systems and equipment. Must be able to recognize system/building shortcomings and respond to operational and emergency situations.
- Manage the selection of contract services for base building systems and equipment (e.g. HVAC, generator, UPS, elevator, life safety, BMS, lighting control, card access and security), including the development of specifications, negotiation of service agreements and day to day monitoring of vendor performance to assure full compliance with standards established within the service agreements and the pre-purchased warranties associated with the equipment.
- Work with all hired vendors related to approved capital projects for the facility. This will include coordinating with custodial teams and vendors on all project work and facility operations
- Manage and coordinate such activities as fire/evacuation drills, elevator maintenance issues, overtime air-conditioning and lighting requests, the building waste management and recycling programs and requests for building engineering, electrical and lighting repairs and maintenance.
- Oversee all furniture re-configurations, repairs and installations.
- Maintain all outdoor spaces including landscaping, walkways and snow removal.
- Provide 24/7 emergency response and backup support for operational staff in handling on-call facilities emergencies as well as ensure compliance with security policies and practices, especially related to physical security of facilities.
- Develop and implement programs for compliance with all local workplace/school health & safety regulations (including ADA and local accessibility requirements). Ensure that proper engineering procedures and standards are being practiced and maintained.
- Manage staff of porters and cleaners.
- Prepare and submit purchase orders requests, developing sources for stock materials and performing periodic checks of inventory levels and equipment conditions.
- Develop preventive maintenance schedules and processes and work to maintain, update and improve the operational efficiency of the facility.
- Comply with the energy code reporting as well, elevator inspections, PA inspections, FDNY etc.
- Develop and deliver training methods, materials and programs relative to building operating standards.
- Insure the availability of an adequate inventory of tools and supplies to operate the facilities.
- Participate in crisis management and business continuity planning. Assist with contingency planning/business continuity efforts. Coordinate training, communication and testing of business continuity plans. Assist with recovery effort in time of disaster.
- Participate in ad-hoc projects and other duties, as needed.
- Must have a positive customer service attitude and enjoy working with children.
- Must have good communications and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with information systems and technology.
- Comfort level with balancing multiple ongoing issues and changing circumstances.
- Bright and diplomatic communicator while working with the highest level of personal integrity.
- Strong technical knowledge in mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, HVAC systems, life safety systems, local state and national codes, environmental regulations, fire and safety skills
- Managerial experience.
- At least 10-12 years relevant experience, including the management of facility engineering for school buildings.
- Knowledgeable and conversant in all New York state, federal and local regulations, Department of Health Regulations, asbestos, hazardous materials, radon, lead, noise pollution, indoor air quality, recycling, PCB’s, OSHA, ADA, solid waste, emergency disaster planning and laws and regulations relating to district school facilities.
About Cooke School and Institute
Cooke School was founded in 1987 by a small group of parents to address a pressing need in New York City – providing quality education for children with developmental disabilities. Since then, we have grown from serving seven children in one classroom to an organization dedicated each year to serving nearly 300 New York City children with special needs and their families, while improving general education for thousands more. Our school and programs are sought out by families and educators looking for quality educational options. Our students come from every borough in the city, and reflect the city’s economic and cultural diversity. Students come to Cooke because their families cannot find appropriate placements in the public school system. From the beginning, we set out to educate children with a broad spectrum of abilities and challenges. Our faculty and staff work tirelessly to ensure that our programs and curricula are individually tailored to the varying levels and skills of our students.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions shall be made without regard to an applicant's race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or Federal law.
- Facilities Management
7+ to 10 years
Apply for this job